Roche Children's Walk
At Roche, we believe that vulnerable children everywhere deserve a helping hand towards a brighter future. Roche is particularly proud of its association with UNICEF and the European Coalition of Positive People (ECPP) in Malawi in aid of children orphaned as a result of AIDS. That's why, our employees around the world will join forces for the annual Roche Children's Walk.
Since the Walk started 14 years ago, over 200,000 Roche employees have raised CHF 15.4 million in donations to be used for children’s projects around the world. Last year, 144 sites in 72 countries participated in the Walk - our company’s signature employee project. Funds raised by the employees are used to implement and support projects run by the European Coalition of Positive People (ECPP) and UNICEF in Malawi.
So far, the funds have resulted in the successful rollout of the following:
- 17,000 children assisted through 5 orphan centres,
- Over 5,600,000 meals provided,
- Nearly 30,000 school uniforms supplied,
- Close to 100 children helped through secondary school each year,
- 200 student teachers have been trained,
- 6,000 books and over 2,200 pieces of classroom furniture provided to schools. Since last year’s walk in Malawi,
- 4 early childhood development centres were built and 8 improved,
- 2 primary schools received food gardens training,
- 320 teachers were enrolled into a training college,
- 5000 school children and teachers learned about sustainable environmental approaches,
- 18 much needed schoolrooms built to create better learning environments.